Trekking North India

Hello Friends and Family, and welcome to my India blog. This is where you will be able to find info on me and what's going down with me while I trek across the North of India and the Indian Himalayas. Although I probably won't be able to update this site very often, I hope to do so at least a couple of times during my trip.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Environmental Studies and Communication grad, public servant slut, music lover, intermittent DJ, avid cyclist, intrepid Earth enthusiast, and life warrior.

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Day of Departure


Well, today's the day! In about 12 hrs I'll be heading out to the Toronto airport to meet up with Yvan and FĂ©lix, where we'll eventually be taking our flight out to Milan then to Delhi. All told our flight will be over 19 hrs, with connection, and by about 10pm on September 6th we will have flown 12, 764km... I would try to convey a little more enthusiasm in my prose, however, I'm a little tired right now and have to wake up in a few hours! ;)

So, yeah, my weekend so far has been pretty damn chill! Left Ottawa early Saturday afternoon, arrived in TO around 7:30ish. My man Chris D. met me up at the bus terminal and after dropping my gear off at his new place brought me to a couple of house parties. My last week at work and making final preparations being what it had been though, I was ultra tired, and by about 3am couldn't keep up with Chris' sustained party self. So I took off early and crashed on his floor with my new gear. I found out that, although my Thermarest is cushy, it's not exactly the most comfortable thing to sleep on... especially since my micro sleeping bag (see previous posts) is really thin.

Anyway, the next morning I took a bus over to Guelph to visit my father and his wife, who I only get to see about once or twice a year. And for the past couple of days I've just been lounging in Guelph, enjoying just relaxing and talking and watching TV. It's been quite the change from the last little while, and to be honest a couple more days of this before my trip would be nice!

Regardless, I'm still pumped for this trip, and in a little over a day I'm going to be experiencing some intense shit when we land in Delhi!! ;)

OK. That's it for now. If all goes well, next update will be from India!

That pic at the top is from www.wikipedia.org, thought it was kinda neat. If you look closely it shows Delhi on the ground and the Himalayas in the distance. It's either an oblique satellite shot, or a computer generated image, or a combination thereof. Since I've got an analogue manual SLR - the klunky, heavy yet beautiful Pentax K1000 - I won't be able to update ya'll on pics till I get back and develop them. So I'll have to satisfy you (and myself) with internet pics until then! ;)

Peace

2 Comments:

Blogger mr.gabo said...

Well good luck to you my friend and to all others. Say hey to sarju for me. and tell that although the mountains are beautiful, life is too. make a safe journey. One little tip from a former mountain backpacker. The more you bring the harder the ride. Bring a school bag full of junk.. that's all you really need.
have fun

8:35 AM  
Blogger Jimena said...

Have a safe flight! I'm going to add your blog to my blog!

6:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home